Collection week is November 14 – 21
Operation Christmas Child uses gift-filled shoe boxes to demonstrate God’s love in a tangible way to children in need around the world.
Since 1993, the Samaritan’s Purse project, Operation Christmas Child, has collected and delivered more than 135 million gift-filled shoe boxes to children worldwide. We hope to add millions more this year!
This is the way it works: Each shoe box is filled with hygiene items, school supplies, toys, and notes of encouragement. During National Collection Week (Nov. 14 – 21) Samaritan’s Purse collects the gift-filled shoe boxes at more than 4,000 drop-off sites and WE ARE ONE OF THOSE SITES!
Please consider packing a shoe box (or several shoe boxes) and dropping them here at the church over the next 3 Sundays or any day during collection week. We have a table set up outside on the north patio if you would like to pick up a shoe box or get some more information.
First Baptist Weston is a Regional Collection Center
Shoe boxes may be picked up and dropped off in the lobby of the Early Childhood Building during the following hours:
Below is more information about gift boxes, how they are packed, and what items are acceptable for OCC boxes. For further information, visit the Operation Christmas Child page of the Samaritan’s Purse website.
- Use an empty shoe box (standard size, please) or a small plastic container. You can wrap the box (lid separately), but wrapping is not required. Most importantly, pray for the child who will receive your gift.
- Determine whether your gift will be for a boy or a girl, and the child’s age category: 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14. Print out the appropriate boy/girl label by downloading the artwork from the Samaritan’s Purse Operation Christian Christmas Child website. Mark the correct age category on the label, and tape the label to the top of your box.
- Fill the box with a variety of gifts that will bring delight to a child. Use the gift ideas provided on the bottom of this page.
- Please donate $7 or more for each shoe box you prepare to help cover shipping and other project costs. You can give online at https://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/OCC/followyourbox/, or you can write a check to Samaritan’s Purse (note “OCC” on memo line) and place it in an envelope on top of the gift items inside your box. If you or your family are preparing more than one shoe box, please make one combined donation.
- Place a rubber band around each closed shoe box and drop it off at FBC Weston.